Sunday, June 22, 2014

Everything is Awesome!

Confession: I LOVE  the Lego Movie.

I saw it in the theaters a few months ago and was a little skeptical of it, but ended up really liking it.
This week, the little boys I nanny wanted to watch it, and I was reminded of how much I liked it.
So, this weekend, while I was at Target, I had to buy it.

The witty, slapstick humor cracks me up. Yes, I'll be the first to admit some of it is dumb humor, but I still crack up.
However, what I like most is the message of the movie.
Yes, a slapstick comedy actually could have a good message.
(For those of you who haven't seen it, this will not be a spoiler....I hope not, at least). 

Basically the message is this: Everyone is special and has something to offer.

In the movie, the main character, Emmett, is deemed as "The Special" who was chosen to fulfill a specific mission. First of all, he doubts that he is special, and then he doubts that he can accomplish that mission.
Second, others tell him that he is nothing special, and they lose faith in him as well.

As I watch this, I couldn't help but think of how many people in the world (probably all of us) fall into those categories:
A) They don't feel like anything special
B) They are faced with people telling them they are not special, or
C) A Little bit of both.

During the resolution of this movie, the characters realize that all the "mindless ordinary people" are the ones that are in reality special. They all possess special abilities, they just don't realize it.

So what? As I watch that, and think of those categories that we all fall in, I can't help but think how much better we all would be if we recognized our own potential and the potential of others. Each of us has the potential to do great things.
Yes, the great things differ from person to person; however, different doesn't mean one is better than the other.  It just means we all contribute differently.


Side story (that is related): While I was at the Time to Blossom Conference , all of the girls (and leaders) were given paper flower punch outs (blossoms). Each day all the girls (and leaders) had the opportunity to give these blossoms to other girls. The only stipulation they had was to write a quality they noticed about the girl before they gave it to her.

IT was such a simple act, but I loved observing the girls when they were given a blossom. Without fail, they would always have a smile on their face and express gratitude. In that moment, the girl receiving the blossom felt special, and recognized a way she is special.

Now, connecting that to this message from the Lego movie: How great would it be if we strive every day to recognize our own greatness and the greatness of others?
We are all special, and we all need to recognize that!

My newest goal is to look for the good in others. Every day. All the time. And then, taking it to the next step, and letting them know their great qualities. Everybody deserves to feel special. Everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment