Sunday, June 1, 2014

Getting Real

I've decided I need to return to the blogging world.
I'm not an amazing blogger.
However, I find joy in blogging, so I do it. There's just something therapeutic about it.
So sit back and enjoy the read.

Here's the latest:
Recently, my life has been seemingly perfect.
I just graduated with my master's degree.
I landed my dream job a month before graduation.
I am dating the man of my dreams.
I am enjoying a relaxing summer before the working world begins.
Pretty ideal for the Young Adult age, right?

Well, like most times in life when things are going seemingly perfect, trials come and things get shaken up a bit.
That's where I am at right now.
In the midst of a whirlwind that seems to have appeared out of nowhere during these moments of perfection.
Yes, it is hard.
Yes, there have been many tears.
No, this post will not contain complaints or further details.
However, I will share what I have learned.

This whirlwind has been a huge struggle in my life. But having just given a talk in church on this very subject, I feel like, in a way this whirlwind is what I need right now.
Don't get me wrong, I hate every second of the pain it has caused me and others, and wish to take it away. However, I've been reassured by the talk "Spiritual Whirlwinds" from this past LDS conference. In it, Elder Neil A. Anderson states, "Challenges will come to you, but as you trust in God, they will strengthen your faith."

He goes on to describe the process of a young sapling growing up. He shares how those saplings that grow up in the windy environments become stronger, as the wind whips them around.

Elder Anderson hits home for me with this statement:
"You are infinitely more precious to God than a tree. You are His son or His daughter. He made your spirit strong and capable of being resilient to the whirlwinds of life. The whirlwinds in your youth, like the wind against a young tree, can increase your spiritual strength, preparing you for the years ahead."

This is where I find myself in this moment of time: Learning from the whirlwind that has made its way into my life. Getting to this point consisted of moments of anger, hurt, and sadness. However, they all led to the feeling I needed the most: humility. 

I have been truly humbled as I have been able to recognize how much the Lord is aware of each of us. And aware of me. When I recognized that feeling sad, angry, or hurt would not get me far, I took to the basics in my life: prayer, scripture study, and pondering. Side note: It is important to have those emotions during times of struggle. Do not avoid them, but work through them first, and then answers can come. Also, these emotions do not magically go away; however, they come a little bit more understandable as answers start to come. 

 When I did this, the answers I didn't know I needed started to come, and in ways I never would have expected: I was awakened early in the morning with thoughts that seemed to be out of the blue, I was given peace through testimonies shared by perfect strangers, I was asked to give a lesson on a topic directly related to the answers I'm seeking, and I was able to receive amazing counsel through a simple, loving blessing. Through each of these moments, I have been able to understand a little bit more about myself, who Heavenly Father wants me to be, and what I need to do to get there. Don't get me wrong, the whirlwind has not ceased, and embarking on the path of overcoming the weaknesses in my life is a daunting task; however, due to a loving Heavenly Father, it is seemingly manageable, and for that I am grateful. I am thankful that Heavenly Father can turn my times of heartache, despair, and uncertainty into moments of learning and growth. 




No comments:

Post a Comment