Monday, June 24, 2013

Confessions of a Dreamer!

Confession:

I have a dream that I can be a great runner someday.

Truth: I have a LONG way to go! 

Anyone who knows me well can tell you that I DESPISED running growing up.
I dreaded the days in junior high PE classes when we had to run the mile. 
I seriously thought it was torture and just walked the whole thing with my friends...
maybe slow jogging a few parts.  

However, as I have gotten older, jogging/running has become a bit of an interest to me. 
Anyone who knows me now can tell you that I dream of being able to run a 5k and maybe even a half marathon someday.

Truth is: I can't even jog a whole mile, and that is quite a damper on my great dream! 

I go through these phases where I seriously crave a good jog and feel this urgency to go
 with this idea that it will be easy. 

Every time, without fail, I am humbled and reminded that "it is not requisite that a man should run
faster than he has strength."
I am constantly reminded that since I have not been consistent in my efforts to run, I have to start from square one every time I decide to go again. 

Tonight, after not going jogging in months, was a great example of that. 
It was rough.
I wanted to cry.
I was discouraged, 
and I wanted to quit. 

It was also a reminder that it is time for me to be more persistent and strive to overcome my self-doubt and the obstacles I am faced with. 

Maybe I won't be able to run a 5k this year as planned, 
But as long as I get make it a mile that's progress, right?
So here's to reaching that smaller goal before trying to brave the whole mountain! 

1 comment:

  1. Haha, this post made me laugh. I didn't know people dreamed of being runners. You can do it though!!! I LOVE running and totally support you on this one. It's like reading your scriptures, if you do it once in a while it's good...but not GREAT and definitely not as beneficial. Just be consistent even if you start small like 15 or 20 minutes even. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete