Monday, June 6, 2011

Coincidence?....I Think Not!

Coincidence: (n.) A chance occurrence of events remarkable either
for being simultaneous or for apparently being connected. 
(Dictionary.com)

As different events have taken place in my life, this word has popped into my head a lot. Even just this past few days as things have happened that would be described as "coincidence" (I will avoid the juicy details).
However, as these events have taken place, and the more I have reflected on them, the more I have realized that coincidences don't happen, but answers to prayers and tender mercies do. These reflections have brought to mind two of my favorite quotes, which I am sure I have shared many times.

The first one is by Spencer W. Kimball:
"God does notice us and watches over us.
 But it is usually through another person that He meets our needs."

This quote makes me think of the "coincidences" that have occurred in my life due to actions of others, and it has helped me recognize as answers to prayers rather than coincidences

The second quote is by David A. Bednar:
"The tender mercies of the Lord are real and....
they do not occur randomly or merely by coincidence
Often the Lord's timing of His tender mercies help us
 both to discern and acknowledge them...
The Lord's tender mercies are the very personal 
and individualized blessings, strength, protection, 
assurances, guidance, loving-kindness, consolation, 
support, and spiritual gifts which we receive from and because of and through the Lord Jesus Christ."

I really love this quote because it really helps clear up any confusions about coincidences. It helps me to realize that things happen at certain times for a reason. It is not by sheer luck or mere coincidence, but they happen for a reason, usually in response to prayer or specific needs. I love having that knowledge and know that things happen for a reason. It gives me great comfort and hope for things to come! It also helps me to recognize that there is direction in my life. Someone is aware of my life and knows what is going to happen and knows what I need better than I know myself! It is wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment