Monday, June 13, 2011

After the Trial Comes the Witness

Ether 12:6- "And now, I, Moroni, would speak to you somewhat concerning these things; I would show unto the world that faith is things which are hoped for and not seen; wherefore, dispute not because you see not, for ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith."

This line has been on my mind a lot these past few days, and actually past few months. 
It's one of those "power phrases" that keeps me going because it comes to mind at times that I need it the most. 
It seems like my life has had many encounters with faith-trying experiences these past couple years. 
They are not my favorite thing in the world, and in fact, a lot of times I am one who complains when I am faced with them. 
However, as I was reflecting on this line this morning, and through finding an amazing conference talk, I have been reminded that these faith-trying experiences are for MY benefit, and so I should be thankful for them, even when I don't see receive a witness of why I had them!

The talk I found is from April's General Conference:

"More than Conquerors through Him That Loved Us," by Elder Paul V. Johnson

Study it and love it because it is full of many wonderful things!
I want to just highlight a few quotes and points:

-"Trials are not just to test us. They are vitally important to the process of putting on the divine nature. If we handle these afflictions properly, they will be consecrated for our gain."

-"At times it may seem that our trials are focused on areas of our lives and parts of our souls with which we seem least able to cope. Since personal growth is an intended outcome of these challenges, it should come at no surprise that the trials can be very personal- almost laser guided to our particular needs or weaknesses."

-"Many times a particular challenge helps prepare us for something vitally important."

-"We don't seek out tests, trials, and tribulations. Our personal journey through life will provide just the right amount for our needs."

-"Not one of the trials and tribulations we face is beyond our limits, because we have access to help from the Lord. We can do all things through Christ, who strengthens us."

These are just some of my favorite quotes from the talk. I testify that they are true. Through the faith-trying experiences in my life, I have received a witness that Heavenly Father is there for us. As we trust in Him, He will lead us through our trials and afflictions. It is truly incredible! Our trials are truly for our gain!

One of my other favorite parts from this talk is a story Elder Johnson shares about a hiking trail. It is a vigorous trail that is constantly uphill. Right before reaching the top of the canyon is the steepest and hardest part of the climb. Elder Johnson said: "The final exertion is more than worth the effort because once the climber is on the top, the views are breathtaking. The only way to see the views is to make the climb."
I love that illustration.
"After the trial comes the witness."

No comments:

Post a Comment