Thursday, February 10, 2011

My Ode (or Anti-Ode?) to Valentine's Day!

"One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life; that word is Love."
~Sophocles 

With Valentine's Day just around the corner, I felt a Valentine's Day post was necessary!
I will tell you right now, my views on Valentine's Day are not the same as everyone else's!
I absolutely LOVE Valentine's Day for the sole reason that the decor is so fun.
You can bet your bottom dollar when I have a house of my own, every year we WILL be decorating for Valentine's Day!
I love hearts, pink, red, white, and all the cutesy stuff associated with it, just took a look at my blog right now to get a hint.
Of course the flowers and chocolate as well!
I also love the endless possibilities of Valentine's Day crafts there are. 
It is just so fun!

In fact, this picture is currently my background on my computer in honor of Valentine's Day!
Isn't it so adorable?
As you can tell, the cutesy part of love and Valentine's Day just melts my heart!

However, at the same time, I am kind of anti-Valentine's Day, and always have been!
When I was in high school, we used to call it "Forced Affection Day."
And in a way it is. 
I feel like Valentine's Day is a day where you "have" to get your significant other a gift because everyone else in the world is. I HATE hearing, "What are you buying your husband/wife for Valentine's Day?" Or "This would make the perfect Valentine's Day gift to show them you really care!" It's so cheesy! 
And going on a special date for Valentine's Day, along with everyone else and their mom?
Dumb?! I think so!

First off, going on dates on a weekly basis (at least) should be happening between couples already. 
They shouldn't be waiting for a special day to do so!
And second off, I think it is more romantic and sweet for a guy or girl to buy their significant other gifts randomly, just to let them know they love them.
Why wait for a special day if you truly loved them?
It means a lot more when it comes as a surprise, rather than on a day when a gift is "expected."
Why not surprise your significant other with chocolate or flowers on a random day?
I had a teacher in high school who's husband would randomly stop by, drop flowers off on her desk, and then leave!
He probably did it three or four times while I was in her class. 
Of course, all the girls thought it was the sweetest thing, and my teacher would just glow!
That's true love, and I loved witnessing it!
It's the little things, or the simple things as I like to call them, that really shows someone you love them.
Not some holiday! 

I hope this doesn't sound like I am anti-love and relationships, cause I am not!
Actually the opposite is true, I love a cute love story.
And tend to tear up a little when I see a sweet tender one, especially involving old couples.
It's because I am such a sucker for those sweet relationships, that I am not so much into Valentine's Day.
It kind of ruins the spontaneity and spark that makes love so wonderful! 

In Short: True love is shown ALWAYS and in unexpected ways, not by waiting for some special day.
Gifts and dates on Valentine's Day are kind of insincere and lame! Unfortunately, our society has a way of making it so because it is too commercialized. 
But, at the same time, I LOVE the cuteness of it!
Hearts, pink, red, and flowers make endless possibilities for fun crafts and decorations that just make my heart leap for joy!

Happy Valentine's Day! ♥♥ 


"Love wasn't put in your heart to stay. Love isn't love til you give it away!"

No comments:

Post a Comment