Thursday, January 27, 2011

Scripture Study at 3 AM?! Yes, Please!

So lately I have become an insomniac. 
Seriously, every night (or morning I guess) this week, I have woken up at 2:30 AM!
It is weird cause it is like the same time every morning. 
I just wake up, look at the clock, stay up for a little bit, and go back to sleep!
What's even weirder is that I had this same problem this time, last year!
It is just bizarre. 
I don't know if it because of school starting again, or what it is, or why my body decides to choose 2:30 AM!
Who knows?
But it doesn't make me too happy!
Well this last night, or morning I guess, this same pattern happened. 
Except this time, I couldn't go back to sleep. 
I woke up looked at the clock, saw 2:30 and tried to roll over and go back to sleep.
However, it didn't work. 
Next thing I knew it was 2:45 and I was wide awake!
So by the time 3 AM hit the clock I decided, "Well if I can't fight it, might as well join it."
So I decided to pull out my scriptures and do some studying. 
I was a little nervous that it wouldn't be a very effective study, and I wouldn't get much out of it, but I decided to give it a shot.
So I opened up to where I was studying in the Book of Mormon- Mosiah 23 and 24, which are two of my favorite chapters in the Book of Mormon.
I have read these chapters many many times, and have turned to them many times. 
I just love the story and the many lessons they teach.
However, this morning as I was studying through them, it was like I was reading them for the first time!
I cannot even tell you the joy I felt as I read through these chapters, made connections I have never made before, and read through some things I really needed this morning.
One of my favorite parts is chapter 24 verses 14 and 15. 
In 14, the Lord promises that He "will ease the burdens which are put upon your shoulders, that even you cannot feel them upon your backs.....I, the Lord God, do visit my people in their afflictions." 
Then in verse 15, the promise is fulfilled. 
"And it came to pass that the burdens which were laid upon Alma and his brethren were made light; yea, the Lord did strengthen them that they could bear up their burdens with ease, and they did submit cheerfully and with patience to all the will of the Lord."
I love these two verses and the reminder that not only does Heavenly Father visit us in our afflictions, but He also hears our prayers and keeps His promises!
I also love the reminder at the end that Alma and his people continue on cheerfully and with patience. 
I know that is something I need to work on in my life, and are two of my goals this year!
#1) To choose to be happy, and
#2) Learn patience! Life will work out how it is supposed to!

I am grateful for the reminder I was able to receive....even if it was at 3 AM!
For once my insomnia was a good thing!
Besides the fact that I didn't get to sleep til 4:30 and I wasn't too happy when I went off at 6!
However, I was able to make it through the full school day without falling asleep, so that was a huge blessing! 
I am thankful for the tender mercy of scripture study at 3 AM! 
Will I make that a daily habit?
Not likely, but I really needed it this morning, and that I am thankful for!

No comments:

Post a Comment