Sunday, January 30, 2011

Adventures in Budgeting!

"When we live providently, we can provide for ourselves and our families and also follow the Savior's example to serve and bless others."
~Robert D. Hales


I will be honest, I have never been one to really live by or keep a budget. 
I kind of just bought things when I wanted and never really had to worry about money-
especially because I live at home still, so I don't have to worry about rent, utilities, or food. 
Well, at the start of the new year, I decided I wanted to change that. 
I have never found myself in any financial trouble or debt and I have a pretty well maintained saving account, but I know when I move out someday, and when I am married, a budget will be important to live by.
So I decided now would be a good time to start living more providently, and watching my spending.
So at the beginning of January, I found this neat budgeting thing on excel and took the time to plan out my spending for the month.
It was quite hard to do, to be honest, especially since it was the first time. 
Well, now it's the end of January.
So I have had to take time to reflect on where all my money went for the month. 
Let me tell you, that was quite an eye opening experience. 
Let's just say I underestimated a lot of things and am going to have to make a lot of changes in my budget for next month. 
But I guess that is part of the learning process, right?
Although this kind of stresses me out, I am grateful for my decision to start a budget. 
I know that as I keep working at it, and ironing out the mistakes, I will be able to figure it all out.
I know it will be a huge blessing in my life now, to better control what I do with my money.
It will also be a huge blessing when I have a family of my own to already to be in the habit of creating a monthly budget!
I know it will help keep me debt-free, and focused on more important things!
I am grateful that we have been commanded to live providently, and I am grateful for the challenge and learning opportunity it provides me!
I know the challenges I face in these budgeting adventures will be well worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment