Thursday, September 30, 2010

A Midlife Crisis....or Something Like That!

"Sometimes I wonder about my life. 
I lead a small life- well, valuable, but small.
And sometimes I wonder, do I do it because I like it
or because I haven't been brave?"

This quote is from the movie, "You've Got Mail,"
and it has been on my mind a lot lately!
This past month or so, and more specifically these last few weeks, I've had a lot of time to just reflect on my life and goals in my life.
It has kind of been an interesting experience for me!
Through these reflections, I have realized that a lot of things I do in my life, I do because I haven't been brave enough to do anything else!
To be honest, that kind of made me disappointed in myself.
Why am I too scared to do things that I truly want to?
Why do I just stay content with life instead of branching out into true happiness?

It was definitely an eye opening experience as I started to reflect on this. 
This also caused me to really reflect on what I want to do with my life, 
and what my goals are. 
I started to formulate some goals that I never even thought of before. 
Those goals are a little too personal to blog about right now, but it was an incredible experience!
And it just made me excited to find purpose and direction in my life!
Some of those goals cannot be achieved for a couple years, but it gives me something to work toward!

One of those goals I will write about though. 
That is my goal of running.
Running a half marathon is on my "bucket list."
It is something that I always wanted to do!
Of course, I can't just wake up one day and decide to run 13 miles!
It definitely takes A LOT of time and preparation!
So I decided I would start taking small steps to get there!
These past few weeks I have spent time working out, and it has felt amazing!
I also decided that I will participate in a small race on Thanksgiving as my starting point!
It is a 2 mile fun run! 
To many people 2 miles is not that much, but to me that is a big step, and is the first stepping stone to reaching my goal! 
So this next month and a half will be directed to prepare for that!
Then I will work up to a 5K race and do a few of those.
Then a few 10K's and then hopefully a half marathon!
It will take a lot of work, but I am so excited!
I love challenging myself and having something to work toward!

These changes of goals and different values in my life has caused me to feel like I am going through a midlife crisis! 
It has definitely been a weird experience, but at the same time very good!
I was chatting with a co-worker about it at work yesterday and she assured me that it's not a midlife crisis....but rather a time of change!
Well, whatever you call it, it is what it is!
It has been a time of growth and change for me!
It has probably been when of the biggest turning points in my life, and definitely unlike I have experienced before.
But these times of reflecting have really got me to know myself better.
I have realized more of who I truly am and what I want to do!
I am excited for the goals I have to work toward!
I know with Heavenly Father's help I can achieve them!
What a glorious day that will be!

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome about your running goal. You will do great and you will be able to do it. We all have to start out small and work up to being able to do more. Way to go!! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete