Monday, January 23, 2012

Self-Reflection of a College Senior

*Warning: This post is probably not too entertaining. However, sometimes I enjoy self-reflections posts in hopes that someone will benefit from reading it. Feel free to comment with your thoughts!*

One of the weirdest feelings is starting your last semester of college. 
It has taken about three weeks, but it is finally setting in that this is it- in May I will have my bachelor's degree and will have to start making some big decisions! 
Mainly about what in the world I am going to do with my life. 
Do I go on a mission? 
Do I try to find a job?
Do I keep going with my education and pursue a master's degree?
Decisions, decisions, decisions!
Probably the worst part about graduating!

As I have been reflecting this past week, and weighing out these decisions in my mind, I couldn't help but to reflect on my past years in college. 
Let me be the first to tell you that it was no cake walk. 
Life after high school turned out to be quite more difficult than I ever imagined it would be. 
Part of it due to decisions I have made, part of it due to the actions of others, and part of it due to just life itself. 
It's been so humbling to look back on these experiences and recognize that they provided the most learning and growth than any college class I've ever taken. 
They have also provided me with great comfort as I am able to recognize that I have been guided in all these things. 
I have never been left alone!

It reminded me of this great little clip by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland:


We all experience times of "broken down cars" and feel like it is hard to keep going.
However, I love what Elder Holland says: "Don't you quit. You keep walking, you keep trying there is help and happiness ahead. Some blessings come soon. Some come late. Some don't come until heaven. But for those who embrace the gospel of Jesus Christ, they come. It will be alright in the end. Trust God and believe in good things to come."


It's been so humbling to recognize the times of "broken down cars" in my life and to recognize that I wasn't alone in those situations. It has served as a great reminder that I am not alone in the heavy decision making time that I am faced with!
It is often so hard for me to go into the unknown and trust myself to make the best decision.
However, as I am continually learning trusting God leads to happy endings.
I know as I strive to trust in Him, I will be lead to a happy pathway that will be the best for me and my life.
For now, I will just try to find joy in the journey that leads to that pathway!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck in all your endeavors! So many choices and it is so hard to figure out what to do. Can't wait to see where all your choices lead you :)

    ReplyDelete