Sunday, December 26, 2010

How Do You Measure A Year?......Through Lessons Learned!

One day about a month or so ago, I was driving in my car and this song came on the CD I was listening to. 

It is called, "Seasons of Love," and is from the Broadway musical/movie "Rent."
(I do not support that movie one bit, I just like this song).
The repeated line, "How do you measure a year?" kept ringing in my mind as I went about my day. 
It got me to really reflect back on events of all that has happened in the past
525,600 minutes of my life, and I finally came up with an answer to this question....


A year is measured through Lessons Learned!
Last year, I fell in love the Carrie Underwood song, "Lessons Learned," 
because it really described the events of 2009 for me.
However, as I was thinking back on 2010, I realized that this song still rings true and can serve as my theme song for this past year as well.


"Some pages turned, some bridges burned, but there were lessons learned."


This past year has by all means not been easy at all. 
Don't get me wrong, it has been wonderful, just rough.
As different changes have taken place during the year, I reached a few points where I was ready to give up. 
I felt like all I had to give was gone and I wasn't getting anywhere. 
It truly has been a  year of much growth and learning for me. 
Those experiences were not fun to go through at the time, but looking back I am so thankful for them.
"And all the things that break you, are the things that make you strong!"
I know because of them, I am a much stronger person today, and I am thankful for that. 


I truly am thankful for these Lessons Learned Through 2010:


-Sometimes the hardest experiences provide the most growth and learning.
-Happiness does not come from circumstance, but how you view your circumstance.
-You can choose to be happy!
-Once you learn to love school and learning, it becomes a blessing rather than a hindrance. 
-Everyone has their own differences, weaknesses, and quirks. It is important to accept them, rather than judge them based on these things.
-Change is a wonderful thing, if you allow it to be!
-Doing what Heavenly Father wants ALWAYS turns out better than following your own will.
-Siblings truly can be your best friends and provide the best memories!
-If you are not learning, you are not growing.
-We are called to callings that provide the most growth for us, rather than what we are already skilled at.
-Institute teachers really love and care about their students. They can be a huge blessing and help if you allow them to be. 
-No need to stress! Everything DOES work out in the end!
-When you put the Lord first, everything else falls into place!
-When all else fails, PRAY!
-Sometimes you know things with your heart, that you don't know with your head. Follow it, instead of trying to make sense of it.
-Heavenly Father is really aware of us! His hand is in our lives, we just have to learn to recognize it!
-Trials truly make the heart grow stronger!


These are some of the many lessons I was blessed to learn throughout the year.
It has been quite the eventful year!
"There's some things that I regret, some words I wish had gone unsaid,
some starts that had some bitter endings. 
Been some bad times I've been through, damage I cannot undo,
some things I wish I could do all all over again.
But it don't really matter, when life gets that much harder, it makes you that much stronger."

"There's mistakes that I have made, some chances I just threw away,
Some roads, I never should have taken.
Been some signs I didn't see, hearts that I hurt needlessly,
some wounds that I wish I could have one more chance to mend.
But it don't make no difference, the past can't be rewritten, you get the life you're given."


But I would not change a thing!
"From every tear that had to fall from eyes.
Everyday I wondered how I'd get through the night.
Every change life has thrown me, I'm thankful for every break in my heart,
I'm grateful for every scar.
Some pages turned, some bridges burned, but there were lessons learned."


"You can't change the past cause it's gone.
You just gotta move on, because it's all, lessons learned!"


I am thankful that I am able to move on from the various events of the year!
I love looking back to where I was at the beginning of the year to now and seeing all the lessons learned. 
Those lessons truly make for a great year and are so crucial for shaping my life!
I am thankful that Heavenly Father provides me with these experiences to learn and grow, and helps me through them!
I couldn't do it without Him!
I am looking forward to starting 2011 at the end of this week.
I am excited to make the changes I need to and have a fresh start!
I am also thankful for the lessons and experiences that are coming my way!
It's all about LESSONS LEARNED!
Bring on the new year!









No comments:

Post a Comment