Sunday, December 27, 2009

Some Pages Turned, Some Bridges Burned, but There Were Lessons Learned



In lieu of the New Year starting this week, and after some thoughts I have had recently, I felt it appropriate to create a post to reflect on this last year and to get ready for the new one. This Carrie Underwood song, Lessons Learned, kind of sums up my year. I heard it for the first time a few weeks ago and the more I listen to it the more I realize how applicable it is to my life. If you haven't heard it you might want to listen to the video I have posted to get where all of this is coming from.

As I look back on this year, I realized this has kind of been a big year for me. I have experienced many new things and have gone through a lot of changes. I graduated from high school and started a new chapter in my life by going through my first semester of college. I became a little more independent by leaving the family ward and started attending a singles ward, in which I have many experiences through the callings I have held the past six and a half months. I decided to get rid of my high school job and work in a more professional environment, which was a little weird to get adjusted to at first. And I have been in and out of two relationships! Wow! What a year! That doesn't even cover the big events that took place in other people's lives that I was a part of, like my brother's wedding! Needless to say, it has been quite the year!

As I remember back on things from the year, of course, there are many things that I would love to go back to and do differently. The song above seriously takes the words right out of my mouth and the feelings right out of my heart.
There's some things that I regret, some words I wish had gone unsaid.Some starts that had some bitter endings. Been some bad times I've been through, damage I cannot undo. Some things I wish I could do all all over again. There's mistakes that I have made, some chances I just threw away. Some roads I never should have taken. Been some signs I didn't seen, hearts that I hurt needlessly. Some wounds that I wish I could have one more chance to mend. But it don't make no difference, the past can't be rewritten. You get the life you're given. Some pages turned, some bridges burned, but there were lessons learned. And every tear that had to fall from my eye. Everyday I wondered how I'd get through the night. Every change, life has thrown me. I am thankful for every break in my heart. I'm grateful for every scar. Some pages turned, some bridges burned, but there were lessons learned. And all the things that break you, and all the things that make you strong. You can't change the past cause it's gone. And you just gotta move on because it's all lessons learned!

With all the changes that have taken place in my life this year, it definitely hasn't been the easiest one for me. There were many challenges that I went through. However, as I have taken time to reflect on these challenges I realized that through them I have learned a lot and through that learning I have been able to grow and become stronger. So instead of just being a year of changes and challenges, 2009 has been a year of a ton of learning experiences and has enabled me to grow a lot! I am truly grateful for that! Through all of these things I have been able to realize who I truly am and come to know myself better than I ever have before. That is a huge blessing in my life! Through all of this, I was able to discover my many weaknesses and learn the things I need to do to turn them into strengths. In sacrament today I read a scripture in Mormon 9:31. It says, "Give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." I am so thankful for the many humbling experiences I have been through this year as I realized I was a lot weaker than I thought and that I have been able to find the things that I need to improve upon in my life! I am truly grateful for the lessons learned!

Although this year has helped me grow and be stronger, it is one that I never want to live again, and I am glad that I don't have to! I am looking forward to starting the New Year this week and for the chance I have to make goals to work on for this next year. Goodbye 2009, Hello 2010! Bring on the New Year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment